From 1 April, under the Health (Tobacco, Nicotine etc. and Care) (Scotland) Act 2016, new rules apply to the sale and purchase of tobacco and nicotine vapour products – known as NVPs or e-cigarettes.
These legislative changes mean that:
- it is illegal to sell NVPs to anyone under 18;
- it is illegal to buy NVPs for someone under 18;
- all retailers selling tobacco or NVPs will need to be registered;
- stores will need to have an age verification policy for sales of tobacco and NVPs;
- an unauthorised person under 18 will not be able to sell these products.
In addition, the Act has proposed a number of restrictions around advertising NVPs and a ban on NVP vending machines, which will be introduced later this year.