The Royal Charter of the Institute states in Bye-Law 13.2 (d):
“to make Regulations for the constitution of two or more Centres for the local despatch of business of the Institute and to determine the geographical areas to be covered thereby and the membership, management, funding, powers and functions thereof.”
The Institute has two Centres, Northern and Southern.
The roles of the Centres are:
- To organise or facilitate in conjunction with partner organisations, training events on Environmental Health or related topics primarily for the benefit of members. Institute members will benefit from discounted/free training events. Events should be organised at times and locations appropriate for members of that Centre.
- To provide a mechanism for communication between the members and the Council.
- To provide a forum for members to meet and participate in discussion and debate on matters occasioned by or affecting the Institute.
- To provide a forum for social interaction between members.
- The Southern Centre has a role in engaging with the universities providing accredited Environmental Health degree courses.
The Northern Centre comprises the areas of:
Aberdeen City Council
Shetland Islands Council
Orkney Islands Council
Western Isles Council /Comhairle nan Eilean Siar
The Southern Centre comprises all other local authority areas of Scotland.
Note: These geographical areas are based on existing local authority boundaries for administrative simplicity. All members may attend Centre events – attendance at events or participation on Centre Management Committees is not restricted to Environmental Health Officer members working within these geographical areas. All members whether Environmental Health Officer or non-Environmental Health Officer and from public sector or private sector are encouraged to support the Centres closest to their home or workplace.
Each Centre has a member elected Chair and Secretary, and a Management Committee, to discuss, agree and deliver the activities of the Centre.
The Chair and Secretary of each Centre have ex-officio membership of the REHIS Council and the Membership, Education and Training Committee.
Events arranged by the Centres are promoted through the Institute website.
The Chair and the Secretary of the Northern Centre can be contacted at:
The Chair and the Secretary of the Southern Centre can be contacted at: