School students are completing their REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene qualification as part of their two day “Let’s Get Cooking” course.
Let’s Get Cooking in Scotland with funding from Big Lottery’s Young Start Fund the Children’s Food Trust are working in partnership with 17 secondary schools across five local authorities. There are now Let’s Get Cooking Clubs in Glasgow, Edinburgh, North Lanarkshire, East Dunbartonshire and West Dunbartonshire.
In March 2017, 18 students (S3-S5) took part in a two day Let’s Get Cooking Course to become student cooking club leaders. A staff volunteer from each school was also trained, so that their new cooking clubs have ongoing support. Students also completed their REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene qualification. These student leaders are now delivering cooking activities and sharing their knowledge with others.
The feedback received from staff and students alike was extremely positive. One pupil beamed at how much confidence they had taken from the training, whilst one teacher said it was ‘the best course’ she had been on ‘over the last 10 years’.
You can register to become a Friends of Let’s Get Cooking. It’s free to join– no commitment, no strings – and you’ll get:
· practical guides and resources to download – covering safety, nutrition, demonstration techniques, food customs and more
· early-bird information about our annual BIG Cookathon
· e-newsletters packed with ideas, information and competitions
· news from the Children’s Food Trust and its partners about food waste, cooking on a budget, school food and other linked topics
· alerts about changes to relevant legislation, such as food labelling and allergen information.