The Australian Government’s have published their National tobacco strategy 2023-2030 which announces that they will ban single-use, disposable vapes and also the importation of nonprescription vaping products – including those that do not contain nicotine.
To tackle youth vaping, minimum quality standards for vapes will be introduced including restricting flavours, colours and other ingredients. Vape products will require pharmaceutical-like packaging, and the allowed nicotine concentrations and volumes will be reduced.
The main points of strategy include:
- Ban the sale of all single use disposable e-cigarettes
- Introducing minimum quality standards on certain flavours, colours and ingredients and reducing allowable nicotine content.
- Raise public awareness about the health impacts of e-cigarettes
- Prohibit advertising, promotion, and sponsorship of e-cigarettes
- Monitor and prevent illegal importation and supply of non-prescription e-cigarettes in Australia.