Moray Council- Principal Environmental Health Officer
To assist the Environmental Health and Trading Standards Manager in the implementation of the functions of the Environmental Health Section in relation to the enforcement of all relevant legislation and approved Council policies in order to protect the general health and wellbeing of the residents in Moray and manage the performance and work allocation of the team.
Manage a team of Officers delivering the aspects of Food/Health and Safety/Private Water Supplies, Animal Health and Contaminated Land. This will include preparing FOI information, preparing performance monitoring reports at individual, team and service level, allocating workloads across the team, prepare for and contribute to the handling of audits of the service, appraising staff and performance providing feedback to individuals, teams and the service manager. Assisting the Service Manager in the development of policies, strategies and systems of work to ensure effective and efficient delivery of service and modernisation of working practice including the shift to digital.
To be responsible for the management of and work allocation of the Environmental Health team, performance monitoring and reporting.
Deputising for the Environmental Health and Trading Standards Manager when required.
Contribute to the formulation and implementation of and complying with the objectives, policies and procedures of the Environmental Health Section.
Provide professional expertise support and advice on Environmental Health functions.
Liaison with other Departments and Agencies on all aspects of Environmental Health.
Represent the Council on outside bodies.
Contribute to the effectiveness of the Service.
- Considerable post qualification experience in Environmental Health
- Member of the Royal Environmental Health Institute
- REHIS Professional competence
- Excellent oral/written communication skills
- Analytical approach
- IT Skills
- Negotiating Skills
- Self confident and self motivated
- Sound knowledge of range of Environmental Health duties
- Able to lead a team of officers
- Motivational skills
- Initiative and creativity
- Able to plan, delegate and monitor team workload
- Satisfactory enhanced ‘Disclosure Scotland’ return required
- You will be expected to travel efficiently and effectively between various work locations within Moray to meet the operational requirements of the Service. Due to the rural nature of Moray this is normally undertaken by use of a car/van
- Ability to work on own initiative and to meet strict deadlines
- Effective organisational and time management skills
- Appreciation and acceptance of, and commitment to, the importance of confidentiality
- Ability to relate well with all levels of staff and customers
- Willingness to work in a demanding position where a flexible and corporate approach is required
- Willingness to accept direction/delegation
- A commitment to deliver quality services to agreed standards
- Confident and assertive
- Appreciation, acceptance and commitment to the importance of confidentiality
- Ability to make site visits when required including accessing restricted spaces
- Ability to work in an open plan office.
- Ability to work flexibly to meet the needs and demands of the service
- Ability to work in different offices dependent on service requirements
- Able to work in a wide range of business environments, e.g. retail, factories, farms etc.
36.25 hours per week
Interviews to be held on Thursday 28 March 2019 and Friday 29 March 2019
CANDIDATES WILL BE REQUIRED TO DELIVER A PRESENTATION (details will be provided at time of invite to interview)
For further information contact: Ms Karen Sievewright (01343) 563356
For more information and how to apply see myjobscotland