We are on the lookout for thought-leaders and experts in food safety and hygiene standards, allergen management processes and health and safety within the hospitality sector.
Perhaps you are a passionate food safety professional who is highly experienced in food safety, hygiene, and allergen management. Or your expertise in within health and safety, with an in-depth understanding of health and safety in the hospitality sector. This is an exciting opportunity to play a pivotal role in shaping the future of food safety and consumer protection for the hospitality industry through the innovative third-party assurance scheme, Safe to Trade.
What is Safe to Trade®?
Safe to Trade is an initiative to improve food safety for consumers and champion food safety for the whole hospitality industry. Its aim is to be the first voluntary food safety assurance programme designed specifically for the hospitality industry. Setting a standard in food safety and hygiene. The programme is independently and impartially assessed, governed to the highest level, and rigorously aligned to the latest food safety and hygiene regulations. The Standard is currently being enhanced to include health and safety criteria.
The Technical Standards Committee (TSC) is responsible for the Safe to Trade Standard. Led by industry leaders and experts in the application of food safety and hygiene standards, allergen management and health and safety processes within the hospitality sector, the TSC ensures that the programme remains consistent with legislative requirements and drives continuous improvement. The Technical Standards Committee consists of a minimum of 6 individuals including the Chair. As the focus of the Safe to Trade programme is on food safety, hygiene, and health and safety, it is essential that all committee members are experts in either food safety, (including allergens and food standards) or health and safety, and how these are applicable to the hospitality sector.
We are looking for representation from government and local authority as well as the food industry (experts in the development and enforcement of food safety, hygiene and health and safety regulations, or experts in these areas across hospitality, catering and retail) to join the Technical Standards Committee for Safe to Trade.
What will this involve?
· As a member of the Technical Standards Committee for the Safe to Trade programme, responsibilities will include:
· Maintenance of all aspects of the technical content of the Standard. The food hygiene, safety and health and safety standards aspects are to be agreed in conjunction with our Primary Authority in England.
· Review changes to the Standard to ensure all legislative food safety, hygiene and health and safety regulatory requirements are met.
· Horizon scanning of the legislative environment, food industry and external guides to identify factors relevant to the evolution of the Standard.
· Review opportunities identified by Certification Bodies to enhance the Standard.
· Approval of updates to the Standard.
· Contribute to the continual development and improvement of the Standard using evidence-based recommendations.
· Interpretation of programme data to determine how the industry and regulator can derive value from data collected within the programme.
· Review Safe to Trade complaints that are escalated to the Technical Standards Committee.
· Review Safe to Trade audit set changes that impact Standard Requirements.
There will be at least four meetings of the TSC scheduled each year (either in-person or virtual) and it is a requirement that each member attends at least 75% of these meetings. Wherever possible decisions are made on a consensus basis by all members.
Note: This is a voluntary position where travel expenses and approved activities will be reimbursed.
How to apply.
If you wish to be a part of this, all enquiries and applications can be made directly through this website: https://safetotrade.org.uk/opportunities/technical-standards-committee/?utm_source=REHIS+website+&utm_medium=advert+&utm_campaign=TSC+recruitment+
All appointments to the TSC are made by Safe to Trade. There is no maximum term of office but each TSC members’ position will be reviewed annually. Safe to Trade may invite technical experts, who are not committee members, to participate in the TSC. The full list Technical Standards Committee experts can be accessed here