The course will be of relevance to all Environmental Health Officers/Practitioners, Enforcement Officers, Technical Officers, etc who may have to give evidence as witnesses in their professional capacity in a criminal court or at a Fatal Accident Inquiry.
You will learn how to prepare yourself for your court appearance and to be confident in your ability to give evidence clearly, concisely, professionally, confidently and effectively. You will:
• Learn the difference between ‘familiarisation’ and ‘coaching’.
• Gain a basic knowledge of the Criminal Court and Fatal Accident Inquiry (FAI) process in Scotland and understand your responsibilities as a witness.
• Learn about effective record keeping and report writing.
• Learn how to refer to notes or reports that you have written and to speak to them and other court ‘productions’.
• Understand and learn how to cope with the natural anxiety of giving evidence
• Take part in a short practical exercise to experience how to respond to questions addressed to you in the witness box.
The Course is run by Mrs Betty Bott who was a Senior Procurator Fiscal and worked for over 30 years in the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service. She was later the Director of Legal & Professional Development at the Law School of the University of Dundee and has over 17 years’ experience teaching this subject to non-legal professionals.